Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Flash

     The park is three blocks from my apartment. It has a playground with a yellow slide and four swings. I walk there every morning from 8:16 AM to 9:02 AM. When the leaves are curling and dying in the grass, I wear my yellow hat. I pretend my head is a sunflower.
     I talk to the squirrels. Sometimes they tell me funny things, strange things. They fluff their tails and nibble scraps, folded up on branches. Then they open their mouths and grin. Their teeth are rotting, yellow fence posts. They tell me to come inside the fence, open the gate and walk in, and they'll give me big piles of blue cotton candy. They say it's pretty and green and warm behind the fence. "It's on your way," they tell me. I really like blue cotton candy.
     Usually, I keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment